Windows 10: Upgrade to Version 1511
(OS Build 10586.29)
Outlook Safe Mode – Microsoft Office 2010 – KB3114409
Microsoft have released an upgrade to Windows 10 which is part of their automatic updates. This is version 1511 (OS Build 10586.29). Once the upgrade finishes Outlook 2010 only opens in safe mode. There is no option to open it in regular mode. None of the other Office 2010 applications are affected.
- Uninstall Windows Update KB3114409 – Update for Outlook 2010 December 8th 2015
There was not much help around on the internet regarding this issue. A lot of it was about disabling add-ins, amending the registry and so on. In fact the solution is simple and effective.
The problem is being caused by Update KB3114409. This update was released on December 8th, 2015 and only applies to Office 2010, not other versions. Once KB3114409 is uninstalled Outlook opens in normal mode again. *I note that Microsoft have already withdrawn this update – December 9th.*
The Solution steps are as follows:
- Uninstall the Windows Update KB3114409
- Use Control Panel Programs and Features.
- On the left you will see “View installed Updates”. Click it.
- The updates are usually in alphabetical order so scroll down to KB3114409.
- Highlight KB3114409 by clicking on it
- Then simply right click and uninstall.
- Important: Restart your computer afterwards.
Outlook and Registry changes
If any changes were made to the Outlook 2010 add-ins or registry, prior to reading this note, now is the time to undo them.
- Outlook Restart
- Outlook should now start normally
- Important: Restart your computer afterwards