It’s called ‘The White Screen of Death’ for a reason. If you are here, you probably know why.
Did you recently install a plugin? Take a look at this flow chart to see if you can resolve the issue.
If the White Screen of Death was not caused by a plugin, below we provide some basic steps you can follow to begin debugging it:
- SFTP to your document root
- Change into the WordPress directory.
- View or download the php-errors.log file.
- Take a look at the last few lines of the error log to determine the cause of the white screen.
You might see a very specific PHP error which will provide a line number in the file that’s causing the problem. At this point you can:
- Download the file that’s causing the problem.
- Go to the line that was listed in the error log.
- Fix the issue.
- Upload the file back to the server.
- Test your website.
If the white screen does not go away then repeat all of the steps above. Sometimes there could be more than one error.